| セント・アンドリュース大聖堂 | |
|---|---|
| 聖アンドリュー大聖堂 | |
セント・アンドリュース大聖堂の東塔とセント・ルールズ・タワー | |
![]() セント・アンドリュース大聖堂 | |
| 北緯56度20分24秒、西経2度47分15秒/北緯56.3400度、西経2.7875度/北緯56.3400度、西経2.7875度 | |
| 位置 | ザ・ペンズ、セント・アンドリュース、ファイフKY16 9QL |
| 国 | スコットランド |
| 宗派 | カトリック |
| 歴史 | |
| 状態 | 台無しになった |
| 設立 | 1158 ( 1158 ) |
| 創設者 | エルナルド |
| 献身 | 使徒アンドリュー |
| ひたむきな | 1318 ( 1318 ) |
| 建築 | |
建築様式 | 教会 |
| スタイル | ロマネスク、ゴシック |
| 画期的な | 1158 |
| 完了 | 1318 |
| 閉店 | 1561年 (1561年) |
| 仕様 | |
| 長さ | 391 フィート(119 メートル) |
| 幅 | 168 フィート(51 メートル) |
| 身長 | 100 フィート(30 メートル) |
| 管理 | |
| 大司教区 | セント・アンドリュース大司教区 |
正式名称 | セント・アンドリュース大聖堂と修道院、および隣接する教会遺跡 |
| 指定された | 1999年2月12日 ( 1999-02-12 ) |
| 参照 番号 | SM13322 |
セント・アンドリュー大聖堂(セント・アンドリュース大聖堂とも呼ばれる)は、スコットランド、ファイフ州セント・アンドリュースにある廃墟となった大聖堂です。1158年に建設され、セント・アンドリュース大司教区およびセント・アンドリュース司教・大司教の座として、スコットランドの中世カトリック教会の中心となりました。16世紀のスコットランド宗教改革でカトリックのミサが禁止された後、使用されなくなり、廃墟となりました。現在は、スコットランド歴史環境局が管理する史跡です。遺跡から、建物は約119メートル(390フィート)の長さがあり、スコットランドで建設された教会としては最大規模であったことが分かります。


大聖堂は、旧聖レグルス教会(聖ルール教会)よりも多くの収容人数を収容するために設立されました。大聖堂の敷地となった場所にあったこの旧教会は、ロマネスク様式で建てられました。現在も、高さ33メートル(108フィート)の四角い塔と、非常に小さな聖歌隊席が残っています。1531年頃の町の地図には内陣が描かれており、市と大学の勅許状に押印された印章には、他の付属建物の図が描かれています。東にはさらに古い宗教施設、岩の上の聖マリア教会、カルディー・ハウスが大学教会になった場所があります。
新大聖堂の建設は1158年に始まり、1世紀以上にわたって続けられました。西端は嵐で倒壊しましたが、1272年から1279年の間に再建されました。大聖堂は最終的に1318年に完成し、中央の塔と6つの小塔を備えていました。現在も東側に2つ、西端に2つのうち1つが残っており、高さは30メートル(100フィート)に達します。7月5日、ロバート1世(ロバート・ザ・ブルース)の臨席のもと、大聖堂は聖別されました。伝説によると、ロバート1世は馬に乗って通路を進んだと言われています。
1378年の火災で建物の一部が焼失したが、1440年に修復とさらなる装飾が完了した。
この大聖堂は、ケルト教会のカルディー派の後継者であるアウグスティヌス修道会の修道士たちからなる聖アンドリュー大聖堂修道院によって運営されていた。






1559年6月、宗教改革の最中、ジョン・ノックスの説教に煽られたプロテスタントの暴徒が大聖堂を略奪し、建物の内部は破壊された。大聖堂は襲撃後衰退し、町の建築資材の供給源となった。1561年までには放棄され、廃墟と化した。[ 1 ]
At about the end of the sixteenth century the central tower apparently gave way, carrying with it the north wall. Afterwards large portions of the ruins were taken away for building purposes, and nothing was done to preserve them until 1826. Since then it has been tended with scrupulous care, an interesting feature being the cutting out of the ground-plan in the turf. The principal portions extant, partly Norman and partly Early Scottish, are the east and west gables, the greater part of the south wall of the nave and the west wall of the south transept.
At the end of the seventeenth century some of the priory buildings remained entire and considerable remains of others existed, but nearly all traces have now disappeared except portions of the priory wall and the archways, known as The Pends.


St Rule's tower is located in the cathedral grounds but antedates it, having served as the church of the priory up to the early 12th century. The building was retained to allow worship to continue uninterrupted during the building of its much larger successor. Originally, the tower and adjoining choir were part of the church built in the 11th century to house the relics of St Andrew. The nave, with twin western turrets, and the apse of the church no longer stand. The church's original appearance is illustrated in stylised form on some of the early seals of the cathedral priory. Legend credits St Rule (also known as St Regulus) with bringing relics of St Andrew to the area from their original location at Patras in Greece. Today the tower commands an admirable view of the town, harbour, sea, and surrounding countryside. Built in grey sandstoneashlar, and (for its date) immensely tall (33 m), it is a land- and sea-mark seen from many miles away, its prominence doubtless meant to guide pilgrims to the place of the Apostle's relics. In the Middle Ages a spire atop the tower made it even more prominent. The tower was originally ascended using ladders between wooden floors, but a stone spiral staircase was inserted in the 18th century.